ORAL HEALTH POSSE FOR CONSUMERS, LLCr
education, advocacy, consultation
(a non-biased Consumer Oral Health LLC)
PO BOX 1417
Concord MA 01742
2019 Future Articles:
Continue series on Bad Breath (abcessed teeth: tonsils, infections of sinus, throat, ears, et cetera: impacted teeth: dentures: dry mouth: et cetera)
What a new smile can do for you...statistics
Caution/ On how "new" Blood Pressure treatment protocol may be dangerous to your health...What questions to ask.
Oral Sex is NOT safe sex
Latest questionable non-insurance dental insurance "product" explained. Tread very carefully.
The Vaping/JUUL mess: conned again by big tobacco...another generation addicted to nicotine
If you have any questions just email them to email@example.com...all questions are welcome
REMEMBER: OHP4C is happy to come to you for an in-person seminar...just contact us at :firstname.lastname@example.org
(Remember to check out HOME page for 'what's happening in the legislatures'...state and federal... that may impact your health.)
DO IT YOURSELF BRACES: DON'T.
TEETHING JEWELRY DNB (Do Not Buy)
FDA WARNING! DO NOT USE!. DANGER
Oral Heath Defined:
Includes but is not limited to the ability to speak, smile, taste, touch, chew, swallow, and convey a range of emotions through facial expressions with confidence and free from pain or discomfort, and disease...
(International definition of oral health)
FORBE's healthcare article (12/22/2018) about the FDA warning on Teething Jewelry written by contributing author Bruce Y Lee is REPRINTED here in full.
Welcome to the new year. As promised bad breath information will be discussed in several articles this year. Please refer to Novemebr/Decemebr 2018 for the beginning of this discussion: Tongue cleaning, Food based bad breath, and Gum disease(see a dentist NOW if your gums bleed! See articles from 4/2017 and 5/2017, too).
This article is about bad beath from decay/cavities/scientific name:caries:
When teeth rot they smell. Part of the smell is from the decaying matter of the tooth and part of the smell is from food particles that collect in the rotted area. IF YOUR TEETH ARE ROTTING SEEK HELP! THIS CAN AND WILL KILL YOU.
DO NOT: try to use any substance, especially household cleaning substances, to clean the rot out of your teeth. DO NOT: try to fill the rotting hole with anything! This could plug up a draining abcess and cause the abcess to spread to bone or brain.
DO stop the following...all of which will cause your teeth to rot for various reasons: stop using alcoholic drinks (if you are addicted seek help), stop sipping drinks throughout the day (coffee with milk and/or sugar, sodas-both regulars and diet, fruit juice), stop tobacco chewing/smoking/vaping, stop sucking on candies throughout the day (all kinds), Stop/Get Medical HELP! with drug addition/ you have a medical problem (meth mouth is the classic rotting teeth mouth but all drugs will have an inpact on your mouth), TALK to your physician if you take medications that dry out your mouth or if your have had chemotherapy that dried out your mouth.( see if there is an alternative medication that will not dry out your mouth AND do not use candies to decrease dry mouth. Talk to your dentist or pharmacist and even search this site for alternative ways to treat dry mouth).
DO SEE A DENTIST:NOW!
Often patients have a habit/addition that is limited to one spot in the mouth. Example; the tobacco chewer who keeps the tobacco against the upper teeth on one side of his/her mouth. This still causes the bad breath and severe damage to the teeth but may not be seen by others when you are talking. When dealing with bad breath ALL your habits have to be examined.
(c) ohp4c 2019
As a consumer advocate organization the best advise OHP4C can give is: stay AWAY from these products. But as a consumer education and consultation company tuned into the real world: for your own protection do the following:
1.Get the company to give you the real, final, price BEFORE you begin or pay any money. Even if it is just a price range.
2. If the company claims you pay them 60% of what an orthodontist/dentist charges...it is a rip off... these companies, as advertised, are doing only10% of what an orthodontists does. (so the price should be 90% less instead of 40% less)
3. For your protection go for a FREE consultation with an orthodontist/dentist near your home. Ask that orthodontist (a). Do I have gum/bone disease? (b). Do I have any cavities? If 'yes' to one or both STOP right there. (c). Ask: How much will it cost to have full mouth x-rays to check for bone level? (d).What do you charge for study models? Think of these two things(x-rays and study models) as your insurance policy. In a minute you will learn WHY you need the insurance. GET THAT INSURANCE DONE BY A DENTIST
4. Get the orthodontist/dentist to tell you if you have any bone loss. 5. Get a copy of the study models!
6. IF YOU STILL WANT TO DO AN AT HOME KIT: when you send in the impressions/molds you take also send in the study models taken by the orthodontist...so you will have a better chance of getting aligners that actually fit.
7.Know that when these companies say they will let you whiten your teeth at the same time they are not being nice...it is a cheap way to try to control gum disease.
8. Know that if you do have gum disease there is a greater than 50% chance that your gums will not follow the teeth. Your teeth may be straighter but there will be ugly black spaces where the gums should be.
9. Know that when you open your mouth and look at your teeth you are only seeing the 1/3 of the tooth that is above the jaw bone and gum. A full 3/4 of each healthy tooth is encased in jaw bone. In order for the teeth to move pressure has to be put on the teeth so that the bone is dissolved...then the teeth have to be held in that place for 6 weeks + to let the bone grow in this new position. Usually in an orthodontic office this process takes about 60-80 aligners. These companies say they supply 20 aligners. SO do they charge extra for more? Or are you left with teeth that are loose? In short, there is a good chance that your teeth could become more crocked.
10. Find a good, local, tort lawyer and keep his/her name. The chances are very good you will need a lawyer. The x-rays and those study models will be exhibit A and B and will help you to get money so some dentist/orthodontist can try to repair the damage.
11. NOTE: These companies DO NOT have orthodontists looking at your case. They can and do say whatever they want to sell you their product.
Finally: as my grandma taught me: If it sounds too good to be true...it isn't true. AND as my dental mentor taught me:Do it right, do it now, or don't do anything at all.
(c) OHP4C 2019 (see "HOME" page this website summary of legal battles now in progress) DANGER! BE VERY CAREFUL
photo reprinted from FORBES
© 2015 Dental POSSE, LLC/OralHealthPosse for Consumers
(c) 2015 photographs ValentinaPW